Small Hole Drilling – Advantages of EDM Drill
EDM Drills can be technically classified as a specialized EDM machining process, where a small hollow electrode, spinning around the spindle is used to drill small holes. The electrode is electrically charged using a servo-controlled generator and produces a spark. Water is commonly used as a dielectric. The dielectric flows through the electrode under pressure and spreads around the sparking area inside the component.
This mechanism also helps for the drill to get inside the work piece. With sparking the surface of the workpiece is eroded under a controlled environment to develop small pockets in large numbers to eventually draw it into a small hole. Unlike the manual drilling process, Operators do not handle the depth of the holes. The diameter of the hole is based on the electrode diameter, and depth location of the holes are controlled by electronics.
Applications of Small Holes with EDM Drill
While there are many similarities between the drilling operations and the techniques of small hole drilling through EDMs, its the advantages of EDM process which enable its unique advantages. Due to its unique advantages several key applications rely on EDM Drill Machines to drill small holes of diameters ranging from 0.3 mm to 3.0 mm. Typical applications include:
- Start Hole Drilling for Wire EDM Moulds
- Removal of damaged drill bits from critical parts
- Coolant vents in hardened tools in the machines
- Gas escape holes
- Drilling in super alloys and tungsten carbide dies
- Drilling operations for spherical shaped, curved and tapered workpieces
- Ejector pins, cooling pins of pen moulds
- Air vent hopes for forging die
Sparkonix EDM Drill Machines is not only popular for the applications listed above but also for several other components in textile, aerospace, medical devices, and other high-precision requirements.
EDM Drill Unique Advantages
- Drilling of deep holes with a depth of up to 300 mm with ease
- Drilling on components with angular or curved surfaces is easily possible since the electrode does not come into contact with the component when being drilled. This eliminates the risk of tool pressure damaging the drill or component.
- Drilling through tough materials such as Titanium, Carbide
- EDM Drills are great to drill through soft materials such as copper and aluminium. The drilling of these materials through traditional process leads to chips that stick to cutters.
- EDM Drill creates burr-free holes so time is not lost post-processing of deburring holes.
- The problem of broken drills does not occur in case of EDM Drills. The problem is very common in case of traditional drilling methods due to improper control of torque.
- EDM Drilling produces straight holes as there is no contact with the material during the drilling which prevents the drifting in drills.
- EDM drilling machines are programmable and therefore ensure precision with automation, as desired.